The Lavender Family- Benjamin Lavender Sr.

Just north of Millbridge on the Old Hastings Road, and south of the Hole-in-the-Wall hill is the original Lavender homestead.  From the “Lineage of the Lavenders” book provided by Cameron Lavender and researched by G.E. Lahey & B.J. Turner they believe that the house was built between 1890 and 1900 by William and Annie (Brown) Lavender.  Larry, (who is the owner of the homestead now) found the original shingles with square-headed nails while re-roofing in 2005.

The book begins with information regarding the ownership and location of the properties owned by the Lavender family.

It reads:  On September 20, 1864 Benjamin Lavender Sr. acquired Lots 39 and 40 on the east side of the Old Hastings Road from the Crown as a Crown land grant to immigrants.

On July 17, 1871, Benjamin had access to another 96 1/2 acres of land from John D. Palmer on the west side of the Old Hastings Road.

On June 11, 1883, there was an official land conveyance from John D. Palmer Esq. and his wife Cynthia Palmer, of this 96 1/2 acres to Benjamin Lavender of Tudor Township for the sum of $100.00.

Benjamin Lavender, the son of John Lavender was born in East Durham, Norfolk England on September 4th, 1827.  He joined the 26th Cameronians in 1845, served in Ireland until 1850, then went to the land of Jersey where he married Amelia Quiltrough on the 13th of May that year.

In 1851 the couple left Jersey for Wales, moved on to the Isle of Wight.

In 1852 they sailed from Portmouth, England for Canada on Board the Volkin to join his regiment in Montreal.  He left Quebec to sail to Bermuda where he remained for approximately three years.

He then bought his discharge and came to Canada where he remained until his death on January 10th 1887.  Amelia was buried on September 16, 1903.  Benjamin and Amelia had eight children; Robert, George, Benjamin Jr. William, Charlotte, Amelia, Ann, and Rebecca.

In a book by Thomas Nightingale, Farmer and Miner, he refers to the Lavenders.  He travelled extensively through North Hastings from his family farm in Prince Edward County.  He was great friends with John Ray Lavender who was the original owner of Nelson and Kathleen Lavender’s farm at Glanmire.  He states that in March of 1871 on his way back to the farm after wintering with John Ray and his family that he “stopped at Ben Lavender’s at the Hole in the Wall to buy cedar shakes for $1.25 a bundle (commonly used roofing shingles in those days) for repairing the family barn.”  Benjamin had a shingle press and cut shingles and supplied them to people for their building needs.

All of Benjamin and Amelia’s children must have inherited the property.  On January 29, 1887, six of the offspring sold Lots 39 and 40 on the east side of the Old Hastings Road and Lots 37, 38, 39, and 40 on the west side of the road as well as Lots 32 and 34 in the 7th Concession, and the south half of Lots 24 and 25 in the 8th Concession to Amelia Lavender.  The heirs were paid $1.00 each.  On November 25, 1889 Rebecca Jane sold her share of these same Lots to Amelia for $1.00.

Wilbert and Agnes (Hogan) Lavender were next to own the homestead.  It then passed down to Lawrence (Larry) their son.  It remains in his hands to this day (2018).


  1. The Homestead
  2. Amelia (Quiltrough) Lavender
  3. William & Annie (Brown) Lavender
  4. Agnes (Hogan) Lavender, Wilbert Lavender & Larry Lavender