Craig Mine opened in south-east Tudor in 1898. Considerable work was done both on the surface and underground and samples of rock with embedded gold can still be found in the mine area.
Sheppard’s Gold Mine opened in 1885 and was assumed to be on Lot 12 on the Old Hastings Road. Some gold was taken out. Assays reported that the ore carried gold to the value of five ounces per ton. (Information was obtained from Rockhound and Prospector – The Guide compiled by Vers A. McMurray)